RELATE: Origins—Your Past is Present
A three-week workshop with Scott Vaudrey and Deb Shurtz
7–9 p.m. | Tuesdays, April 24, May 1 & May 8 | Activity Center
Every relationship in our lives has been affected in some way by our upbringing. How we see ourselves, the world, and our place in it—these things affect the way we relate with others today. In Origins, you'll gain valuable insight into the many ways your story brings both beauty and struggle to your relationships.
- Explore your family of origin—steering clear of blame and focusing on increased understanding.
- Discover some beautiful parts of your story—the pieces of your background that brought you some of your greatest strengths.
- Identify the pieces of your story that create negative consequences for your relationships today.
- Gain tools to overcome those negative consequences.
- Understand how you can better steward your unique story as part of God's greater picture.
TO REGISTER: Online registration is no longer available, but limited walk-up registration spots are still open.
To claim a walk-up registration spot, simply arrive early (we suggest 6:30 p.m.) and visit the "Walk-Up Registrations" line, where a RELATE volunteer will help you register. Payment methods accepted: credit/debit card, personal check, or cash.
RELATE FAQsWho should attend RELATE: Origins?
Anyone who came from a family! This workshop is especially helpful for:
- Those who experienced disappointment or hurts—big or small—as kids, teens, or adults.
- Anyone curious about how their past affects their present relationships.
- Those who wonder why they get easily triggered, wounded, or angry sometimes.
- Moms or dads who want to pass better batons to their child than the batons their own parents handed to them (whether well-meaning or not).
What's the format?
Each session is a mixture of three components:
- High-challenge teaching from Scott and Deb
- Brief self-reflection exercises to help you connect each concept with your own experience
- Practical table discussions let by trained RELATE facilitators
Can I attend with a friend, my spouse, or my small group?
Yes! Invite each person to register online, then plan to arrive together at 6:30 p.m. on the first night. Once everyone arrives, a host will seat you together. (If someone in your group wants to become a RELATE facilitator and lead your table discussion, they can EMAIL DEB to learn more.)
Can I attend by myself?
Yes! Plenty of people attend by themselves. A host will seat you at a table where you'll get to know a few new friends and one of our trained facilitators during these three sessions together.
7–9 p.m. | Tuesdays, April 24, May 1 & 8
Activity Center (gym) at Willow Creek South Barrington
What's the cost?
$15 per person, which covers all three nights.
The 2018 RELATE Series
RELATE—Origins: Your Past is Present is the second RELATE workshop in the 2018 series. These workshops build on each other, but each is taught as a stand-alone experience. If Origins is your first RELATE workshop, you'll fit right in. (And we hope it will be your first of many RELATE workshops!)
- RELATE—Boundaries + Bridges | Tuesdays, July 17, 24 & 31
- RELATE—Difficult Conversations | Tuesdays, September 11, 18 & 25
- RELATE—TBD | Fall 2018 or Winter 2019
- RELATE—Right-sizing the Gap | Winter 2019
To receive an email alert when registration opens for the next RELATE workshop, SUBSCRIBE HERE.
"When I feel disappointed or hurt by someone, I now know how I can respond in helpful ways."
"Gaining insight into how my past still affects my relationships gives me freedom to live differently going forward."
"I finally understand why certain things trigger me—and now I can do something about it!"
"My son and I finally had the conversation we've been needing to have for years."
Past RELATE events
Through RELATE workshops hosted at Willow South Barrington, you can engage in practical, high-challenge teaching with Pastoral Response Director Scott Vaudrey.
- Build better relationships with those you love
- Keep difficult people from tanking your day
- Navigate conflict with kindness and confidence
- See God's hand in every part of your story—past, present, and future
Watch the three-week RELATE Midweek series here.