Elder Update - September 17, 2019
Dear Willow Family,
In the coming months, the Elder Board will share updates on the board’s priorities and important steps in preparing for the next season in the life of our church.
Senior Pastor Search
On September 12, Vanderbloemen provided an encouraging update to the Elders on their search process (view their update here). Since June, they have gathered input from Elders, staff, and the congregation to form the senior pastor job description; posted it on key websites; vetted more than 120 individuals, including men and women of various ethnicities, from both domestic and international locations; and presented the top six candidates to the search committee.
We have outlined the Elder Board’s senior pastor search process and the job description on the Pastoral Search webpage here. The process continues on schedule.
We trust God to lead us to the person He has chosen to serve as senior pastor of our church. We are grateful for the numerous candidate recommendations, all of which have been submitted to the search process. If you have insights, prayers, or encouragement that you’d like to communicate directly with the search committee, you can do so by emailing [email protected].
Willow Creek Huntley
The Elder Board had the privilege to celebrate with the Willow Creek Huntley family at the grand opening of their new church home. We are reminded of God’s goodness and grace. We recognize the commitment of the staff, volunteers, and congregation during the construction period. We trust God will continue to bless Willow Creek Huntley in the mission of helping irreligious people become fully devoted followers of Christ.
Our Elder Board has visited each Willow Creek location and spent time in prayer with the Leadership Advisory Councils and the prayer ministry volunteers. We believe God is calling our church to greater levels of prayer. We are encouraged by the news of answered prayer and how congregants are being transformed by prayer. We invite our Willow family to take advantage of opportunities for corporate prayer at each campus and to participate in the following:
- Sign up to receive daily devotionals centered on practices of prayer here.
- Come to a prayer meeting at the South Barrington campus at 7 p.m., Wednesday, September 25 in the Lakeside Auditorium.
We ask that you consider the following prayer requests:
- That God will give the senior pastor search committee wisdom and discernment as they interview candidates.
- That the grand opening of the Willow Creek Huntley facility will create new opportunities for people to experience God’s love, grow deeper in their faith, and find Christian community.
- That all Willow Creek campuses will continue to share the love of God in a way that transforms individuals, families, and the community.
- That the We Are Here series will help us prepare our hearts through greater levels of service, worship, prayer, and evangelism.
We echo the words of Paul to the Church at Ephesus, praying:
... that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
—Ephesians 3: 17–19
In His service,
The Willow Creek Elder Board
Jeff Mason, Chief Governance Officer
John Sleeting, Secretary