For this Celebration of Hope, let’s be bold and go outside the four walls of our church to do something (anything!) that will stretch our heart for serving globally and in our community. Here are 12 ways you can get out and serve!
- Pack seeds in your community. Find a local school near you that is co-hosting our church family’s favorite serving activity each year and sign-up. Even better, invite a friend that wouldn’t normally come to our church building!
- Apply for a global serving team. Each year, hundreds of people serve alongside our global partners on a 7-10 day trip. Check out this year’s upcoming trips here.
- Join a spring clean-up project at a local school. We’ve pre-identified some projects at schools in Palatine and Hoffman Estates for Saturday, April 13. Sign-up here.
- Sign up to serve alongside our friends at Grace & Peace church in Chicago for their outreach event which will serve over 400 families! This is a full-day serve for people ages 14+, on Saturday, April 13 from 6:30AM-4:00PM. Sign up here.
- Bring a meal to a neighbor (maybe check to see if they have food allergies beforehand!)
- Write a note of encouragement and gratitude to your local police or fire department.
- Find an upcoming community event and offer to volunteer: could be a concert, community theatre, or 5k race.
- Visit someone in need of company: maybe a local senior living facility or veteran center.
- Become a foster parent or support a local organization like Safe Families for Children. You can help by donating diapers, formula, or helping with transportation needs.
- Pick up trash in a local park – making it a safe and clean space for kids to be kids!
- Offer to babysit for friends who are new parents – giving them a date night.
- Learn more about how you can serve with Willow’s Care Centerand other local partner organizations.
Show us how you served your community! Tag us in your pictures on Facebook or post on using the hashtag #WillowServes
By Lara Olson, Director of Serving and Connection at Willow Creek