The Sous Chef for Catering serves as “second-in-command” of the kitchen when the Executive Chef is present, or otherwise assumes primary responsibility. This person primarily oversees and directs the catering food production under the direction of the Executive Chef, but also assists in the food production for all food outlets as directed. In addition the Sous Chef supervises food production personnel, assists with food production tasks as needed and assures that quality and cost standards are consistently attained.
- Prepares or directly supervises kitchen staff responsible for the daily preparation of soups, sauces and “specials” to ensure that methods of cooking, garnishing and portion-sizing are as prescribed by standardized recipes
- Assumes complete charge of the kitchen in the absence of the executive chef
- Under the guidance of the executive chef, oversees and coordinates the production of the catering food
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability particularly as it relates to the use of volunteer staff
- Supervises trains and evaluates kitchen personnel
- Recruits and makes selection decisions and evaluates job performance of kitchen staff
- Plans catering menus (with the executive chef, catering director, and ministry director)
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct within budgeted labor cost goals
- Assists the executive chef with weekly & monthly inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning and issuing for food production
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met
- Prepares reports, arranges schedules and costs menus and performs other administrative duties as assigned by the executive chef
- 3 years culinary experience plus supervisory and/or management experience
- Serve Safe certified
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision
- Able to work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Some College or Associate’s Degree preferred
- Spiritual gifts of leadership, administration, teaching, service/helps, and hospitality
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time, able to carry 50lbs or more
View all available positions at Willow Creek.